This is a quick index to my posts that appear as part of a recurring theme or series.
- Psych meds 101s: Antidepressants, Antipsychotics, Mood stabilizers, Anxiety meds, Sleep meds
- Pill popper RN
- Meds that can make you crazy (literally)
- Do antidepressants work? What a new meta-analysis says
- Evidence-based treatment of bipolar disorder: the CANMAT/ISBD guidelines
- Our complicated relationships with medications
- What the STAR*D study means for depression treatment
- Evidence- based treatment of anxiety
- I dream of ketamine
I review non-fiction books on topics related to mental health.
- Birth of A New Brain by Dyane Harwood
- No One Cares About Crazy People by Ron Powers
- The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron (not actually written as a review)
- Strong at the Broken Places by Richard M. Cohen
- A Fearless Heart by Thupten Jinpa
- The Book of Joy by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu
- Mindfulness for Bipolar Disorder by William R. Marchand
- The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney
- Emotional Agility by Susan David
- Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
- A Series of Unfortunate Stereotypes by Lucy Nichol
- Lost Connections by Johann Hari
- If I Could Tell You How It Feels by Alexis Rose
- Should I Have Told You That? by Liz Lea
- Thriving Not Surviving by Dianna Kelly
- After Suicide by Charlotte Underwood
- My Age of Anxiety by Scott Stossel
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
- Kaleidoscopic Beauty by Karen Horsley
- Living With Vaginismus by Victoria Johnston
- An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison
- Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
What is… ?
This weekly series takes a look a different terms in the area of psychology.
- The Myers-Briggs personality type
- Shame and guilt
- “It’s all in your head” is as real as it gets
- A Prescription For Murder?
- BPD: Are the Helpers Actually Hurting?
- Stigma and the pathologization of normal
- Legislated stigma
- Why is Netflix jumping aboard the stigma train?
- We have a message – how do we spread it?
- What’s In a Name? Labelling and Mental Illness
- Should people in mental health crisis be handcuffed?
- Disclosing mental illness at work: The good, the bad, and the ugly
- Crisis resources for suicide prevention
- Suicide and barriers to help-seeking
- The way the media talks about suicide matters
Video reviews & recommendations
- TED Talks on depression and suicide
- TED Talks: a mental health hodgepodge
- TED Talks on mental health stigma
- TED Talks on mental wellbeing
- How do you say antidepressant in Uzbek?
- It’s vacation time!
- Pressing reset (or maybe just pause)
- Travelling with depression as a carry-on
- It’s bucket list time